Hearty. Delicious. Satisfying. Creamy. Warm.
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cup TVP
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 8-12 fresh tomatoes, diced or 1 large can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cup kidney beans
- 2 cup black beans
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat, add olive oil, garlic and onion, saute for 2 to 5 minutes.
- Add spices and herbs, saute for 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste, TVP, mushrooms, saute for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, beans, maple syrup, salt and pepper, stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 to 60 minutes, stir occasionally until chili has thickened.
- Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream, plant-based cheese and a sprinkle of parsley, dried or fresh.
SOUR CREAM INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup raw cashews, softened
- 1/2 cup water or unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
SOUR CREAM DIRECTIONS
- Soften cashews by boiling for 10 to 15 minutes with lots of water or by soaking minimum two hours to overnight, drain and rinse before using.
- Blend all sour cream ingredients together until creamy.